Saturday, January 18, 2014

Mixed Media Layout Tutorial

Hi All !! Shilpa here, with a Mixed Media Lay out and its tutorial. Hope you are liking our latest Challenge#23 -'Scarp your scraps' at Lulupu  by my very talented colleague Pooja.

New year and we are always tempted to buy new crafty products. I am renowned for not being able to throw the smallest scrap of paper away. There are so many ways to use those beautiful scraps right?  So here is my take on this fortnight challenge theme...



Since I knew I was going to share this project here on the Lulupu blog, I've taken the photos of each step to show what wonders you can make from Scraps!. 
Let's begin the fun...

Here you can see how I have arranged the scraps. always do hit and trial before you stick em all.



Then I decided to create a Balloon. I had first cut another piece with Hot Air Balloon shape. Then I cut curved patterns and glued. You can see those all are different and from scraps.



So I started off  with my Chipboard square piece which I use often !! I layered paper strips horizontally  and adhered them with Modge Podge


  Here, you will see thin  white layer on the base, that's Gesso. Gesso is a primer which is used in Artwork mostly in painting and mixed media. It gives strength to the base and options to play with lot of colour mediums.


Once the Gesso was dry, I took out my favourite shades of acrylic paints and Gelatos. I smugged the colours on all edges. So this is colour layering.


  Next step was to add texture with stamps and stencils. I used Ranger's black Archivel Ink, Adirondak inks, beautiful Kaiserkraft texture stamps, Crafters Workshop stencils and Studio Calico Masks from Lulupu. I used markers and Gelly roll pens too.

I ended up putting a lot. And eventually I wound up with a background I liked!
I did  the same procedure with Balloon.
And when I put together background piece, balloon and words, Voila !



Such fun and easy to make, isn't it ? I hope you enjoyed the tutorial. So, share with us what you make with your leftovers.
 Some of you might be new to Mixed Media, if you've any questions about this project, add them below in comments, I'll be happy to answer them.
And entries for 'Scrap your scrap' challenge will end on Jan, 31st.

Our Create a Calendar Challenge is still open till 20th Jan, so you've time to make one and win Rs.500 Gift Voucher from Lulupu Store.

Happy crafting friends !!


Materials used :


18 comments:

  1. This is brilliant, love it! Great technique too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Shilpa..love the way you did ..your mixed media projects are Awesome as always Shilpa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shilpa,
    I came here via Shirley's creative Canadian blog. I won her blog candy and you were kind enough to say congratulations so I thought I would come by. Thank you. What a lovely surprise the win and the gift is!
    You are certainly masterful with colour! I will show my granddaughter your post as I gave her some Gelatos for Christmas. Will look more at your work.
    Miles of smiles,
    Ros.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic project dear Shilpa .. HAPPY and wonderful !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing, Shilpa. And goes to show there's no such thing as wastage in craft. Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A brilliant composition, Shilpa! I love the rays of sun, too. Creative technique, well thought out and photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely mixed media canvas, Shilpa - beautiful colours, and the balloons look just brilliant. Great tutorial and photos taking us through it too, thank you.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Shilpa...so good to have you sharing tutorials.A feast to see how you make those magical art works of yours.I have no idea about all the inks and media you talk about[only Mod Podge made sense since I had to read up and use it recently!!]
    PS : do you frame your work...it is so lovely !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, Thanks for sharing the tutorial :). I used to wonder how you create such beautiful backgrounds!! And this project is no exception :)lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great result, Shilpa....it gives a smile...thnx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great page, love the vibrant colors, it such a happy page, it has definitely inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderfull. I love the design and de colours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a wonderful creation, Shilpa. I love the bright colours !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mixed media art is very beautiful, so creative and colourful, love the balloon too. Great tutorial, thank you, it's fun to read the steps you took. Take care, Shirley x

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOw !! What a wonderful use of scraps !! I loved the bg and your coloring has given new life to the scraps !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loud applause, Shilpa, what a great process post, I loved reading about all the colourful and creative techniques and painting tools you used to give such a lovely picture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow !!! such an inspiring creation. Following your blog i got interested in art journals and want to try it out. I have lot of scraps with me and will create a layout following your tutorial . Can you suggest me some links from where i can learn basics of art journals?? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...